Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Sometimes it's a Matter of Inspiration


Lately, I have been experiencing constant sensory overload. I have recently concluded nearly four months of illustration/ animation work on a personal motion piece that can only be described as "trippy and epic". (See screenshots below)





As ultimately frustrating, fun, exhausting, and personally rewarding as it has been to work on the piece, there's a big part of me that is ultimately glad to put this particular project behind me.  Don't get me wrong -- I'm definately all about seeing creative inspiration to fruition.  It's just that I believe that the length of time that it has taken me to create this particular piece may have just outlasted the original inspiration.

That brings me to my current creative challenge as an illustrator/designer, the motivation to finally launch this blog, and the subject of this post -- INSPIRATION.

The search for new sources of inspiration and the review/discarding of old ones seems to be were I am currently at creatively.  I'm assuming that this is something that occasionally  plauges everyone who dares to identify themselves as artists. Before collegiate art classes had a chance to shape and , oftentimes, confuse my personal aesthetic, I look towards popular culture to influence my work. 

I have certainly adopted some new artistic tools and acquired some new influences over the the past decade or so.  However (for better or for worst) , a lot of what got me fired up creatively when I was 16 years old is still doing it for me today.  Inspiration sometimes comes in some of the strangest and eclectic places for me.  Occasionally I am moved by the practically mundane.  However, most of what moves me to do what I do generally falls into one of 4 categories:  Music/ music video, 1980's poplar culture, movies, and celebrity as an image and commodity.  I do not in any way restrict myself to just pop culture references to dictate were I go with my work, but I certainly cannot deny the lasting impact of being a latchkey kid of the early 1990's to whom television was a doting babysitter.

Am I deeper than my artistic inspirations? Of course I am -- and I will get deeper into my personal business as time goes on. However, I couldn't think of a better way to introduce myself than to share some of the things that I come back to in my work.  The building blocks of my work are so important to me because for me my work is literally everything.  My illustrations and work are my life and an extension of who I am as an eclectic creative person. Today, my life seems more and more about constantly figuring out what lights a fire under my little soul and turning it into work that can get a reaction out of my audience and maybe even provide a little inspiration for someone else.  What else could be better than that?

Right now I'm still creativly hungry (wait -- make that STARVING) for something new to move me enough to get my work to the next level. I believe that I am well on my way to re-discovering myelf as a creative person, and I am excited about having the opportunity to document the evolution of my body of work (even if it's for 3 people that happen to stumble across this little blog;). I am also elated about beginning some new artistic experiments in the near future and seeing were it all takes me.

In the meantime, here are some of my current personal inspirations:







Leave Me Alone - Michael Jackson


value="http://www.youtube.com/v/3OpHJUJIrpU&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0">

PALLADIA PROMO






Peter Gabriel-Blood of Eden -









 Welcome to my blog and my ongoing conversation about my work (and all the things that influence my work). Here's to all of you going out to find life and passion in what inspires you as well!:)

Warmest Regards,

Christy







No comments:

Post a Comment