Saturday, September 19, 2009

Sneak Preview: Cullowhee Quik-Tan Project


So, for those of you who may be wondering .... no -- I haven't suddenly fallen off of the face of the earth.

I have just been extremely busy lately (which would account for the recent gross neglect of this blog and my poor Zazzle shop).

As you may know -- I am currently in the midst of my senior year of undergrad and their really aren't words to properly express how completely crazy my schedule has been lately. Between researching internships, shopping for a new car, apartment hunting, homework, class and two day jobs....lets just say that if I happen to have any residual time to either sit down and/or pop into the screen-printing studio to let off a little steam...then I feel like an incredibly lucky woman.

Add to all of that the fact that I have been taking on (limited!) freelance engagements lately -- and you can pretty much throw out that whole "sitting down" thing altogether.

In all honesty -- I can't complain too much. Especially with the economy the way it is right now -- I am incredibly grateful to even have a(ny) job(s) at all. Times are obviously very tough for everybody and I've been sitting on every penny that I can make lately in an attempt to ensure that I won't be living in a brightly colored cardboard box come May 2010. I'm just feeling very physically worn out, is all. If there is a part of my body that doesn't ache or hurt in some way right now... then I don't know about it. ;)

That brings me to the two pictures above. Say hello to my newest side project (already in progress ;).

For the past few weeks, I have been re-designing/repainting a massive road sign for a local business ("Cullowhee Quik-Tan"). It's been a lot of fun...but definitely much more physically laborious than strictly designing things on the Mac all day. (I have the sore muscles to prove it :)

However, painting for money is not an opportunity that comes my way often enough...so it has been my pleasure to convert a sign that originally looked like it tumbled out of the tackier end of the 1970's into something a little punchier and a LOT more legible.

The boss over at "Cullowhee Quik-Tan" (Louanne ) is really a dream client. She came to me with her color pallet already picked out and a rough idea of she wanted. That almost never happens!

The concept was for the sign was to be bright , simple , and legible (three things that the original sign definitely wasn't).

Above are a couple of the process pictures from this particular gig. In between the type that's on there now will go the salon's slogan in safety yellow -- "Sun Your Buns". Cute, eh? :)

In any case...the entire thing should be done by today (I'm actually headed over there in a few to spend another 8hrs finishing it up ). I can't wait to see it when it finally gets placed in it's permanent home just outside of the "Cullowhee Quik-Tan" shop.

I will definitely post pictures of the finished sign (and pics of the disaster that was the original "Cullowhee Quik-Tan" sign) up on the blog as time permits.

If you happen to be one of my lovelies who currently live in the Cullowhee/Sylva area -- feel free to head over to "Cullowhee Quik-Tan" and check it out in person when it goes up (hopefully, sometime next week ). I would totally love to hear any and all feedback :)



No comments:

Post a Comment