Saturday, October 3, 2009

My First {Complete} Motion Graphics Project


So this one is a pretty big blast from the past for me and another retro treat for all of you guys. :)

This video is the end product of final project assignment that I received in my first undergrad motion graphics class in around 2007-ish. The gist of the assisignment was that we were to take our favorite book and pretend that said book was being given the big screen treatment. We were then suppose to create an opening title sequence for said imaginary movie.

That's pretty much how "Kiss Me Like a Stranger" (THE fake MOVIE!) was born. ;)

"Kiss Me Like a Stranger: My Search for Love and Art" is the autobiography of actor, writer, director and all-around comic genius Gene Wilder. It is a very earnest, funny, sometimes heartbreaking and sometimes brutally honest re-counting of Gene's incredible life. It also just so happens to be one of my favorite books to this day.

When I was told that we were making a make-pretend title sequence based on our favorite book, my book of choice was a total no brainer. If you haven't read it ( or heard of it) , you really should check it out. It's certainly an intriguing and engaging rainy day read. :)

Getting back to the motion piece -- this certainly marks my first completed end product of ambitious Adobe After Effects noodling. Because of that, it permanently resides in a nostalgic soft n' squishy spot in my heart. :)

Unfortunately -- I believe that the fact that I was practically an "After Effects virgin" at the time that I created this piece is painfully evident.

I can count a million technical issues that I wish that I had the time to fix right now. I know that it's not excactly akin to a Tim Burton or Chris Milk production or anything. I'm not going to pretend that it is.

However, despite the tech issues ( plus the cold hard fact that the soundtrack needs to be swapped out for an original creation a.s.a.p), I'm pretty proud of how this came out overall.

For a first major effort in Adobe After Effects, I think that it's basically sucessful considering how green I was to the software when I created it.

I employed both good old fashioned stop-motion animation (which took FOREVER) with a few photos of Gene and a few basic effects. I think that in the end the marriage of all of these elements was a happy one (despite the need for fine-tuning).

The song used in the piece is "L'eclipse" by Sean Lennon (featuring French pop juggernaut, -M- ). It should also be noted that this motion piece was featured in Western Carolina University's 31st annual juried art show.

Unfortunately, it didn't win anything. Oh well...

I may come back and further explore/self critique this piece (good and bad) in future blog posts. In the meantime, sit back and check out my "Kiss Me Like a Stranger" opening movie titles.

In the end -- it was a lot of fun to do. I hope that you guys enjoy watching it as much as I enjoyed working on it.

Also-- stay tuned for more of my original motion pieces here on "Out the Other Side". :)

2 comments:

  1. How ABSOLUTELY FABULOUS!!! I love Gene. I wish you all the very best! thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much, Vanessa! You are too wonderful. I wish you all the best as well. Your work is really amazing....I love it! :)

    ReplyDelete