Monday, October 5, 2009

Screen-Printing : My Sweetest Escape



My senior year of undergrad has not only brought along with it a crazy workload (and all of the stress that comes with that) , but also a blessed opportunity for me to get down and dirty in my art department's printmaking studio.

More specifically, I can barely contain my excitement about spending part of my last semester on campus screen-printing. I have been given almost total carte blanche by my fantastic print instructor to screen-print to my heart's content and I seriously couldn't be happier about that.

I LOVE screen-printing!!

It's not that I love creating with digital media any less. On the contrary, I actually have an incredible interest in integrating old school printmaking techniques with current technology.

I greatly enjoy how digital media can inform and influence the traditional techniques. I also like seeing how traditional printmaking and digital imaging can diverge and take separate (and sometimes , complementary) paths from each other.

Having said all that, however, I must say that I really just like getting covered in ink and seeing what happens. ;)

As much as my Macbook Pro is my baby and I am certainly a digital girl at heart...here is a physicality to digtal art processes that is definately next to non-existant. I firmly believe that screen-printing is a nice remedy for that.

A lot of people (particularly those of us who fancy our computers more than paint brushes) aren't so keen on having to deal with the time-consuming and often messy nature of screen-printing (or traditional printing in general). Isn't that part of the charm of being a digitally based artist? You get to emulate the print techniques of old without the fuss and mess. What more could you want?

I , on the other hand, am really enamored with the fabulously dirty process. For me, the screen-printing process is a big part of the reason that I'm drawn to it so. I seriously believe that screen-printing satisfies the same part of me that was drawn to Play-doh and finger paints as a kid. In short -- screen-printing is not just another medium. It just so happens to be my current favorite escapism.

Also -- I think that the process as a whole is pretty cathartic and relaxing. Lately, I've been finding myself in the print studio more and more when I am heading towards critical mass with the rest of my life.

For me there is nothing like being elbow deep in screen printing ink in a darkroom with my ipod on or slinging ink on a screen and building an image by hand.

Music blaring. Creativity flowing. Great stuff. ;)

In any case, here is a couple of close-ups of my first big "warm-up" screen-print of the semester. More fun stuff from this medium to come, I assure you.

(And yeah.....it's Michael again ;)


2 comments:

  1. Love, love, love what you're doing. These are incredible! I can't wait to see some of these beauties in person!

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much, hon. That really does mean a lot to me (especially right now that I'm kind of stuck in a spot where I'm not 100% sure if the creative directions I'm going in are good or productive ones). Thank you again, doll. <3 *Hugs*

    ReplyDelete