Sunday, October 11, 2009

Work in Progress: "Gangsta Octopus" ?


So would you believe that this (as yet unfinished) character is the end product of me practically banging my head against my sketch pad and listening to a lot of Queen?

Okay --- so maybe a little N.W.A. and Tupac snuck in there too.....but seriously, it was mostly Queen. ;)

I'm going to level with you guys for a second. Lately, I have been having such a hard time trying to mine my imagination for something new, conceptually challenging, or at least fun in terms of my digital bread and butter.

It's not that I hate creating digitally. I just feel as if (especially since being back in school and having so much on my plate this semester) that I'm beginning to just go through the technical motions of creating digital work without actually producing anything that has my heartbeat in it. I really hate that because then I begin to feel so detached from my art.

I strive to create characters and worlds that reflect facets of who I am as an individual. I'm not claiming that my creations are genius or anything. However, without that unique voice -- my characters would be as cold as the digital media that they are produced in. That's just a completely unacceptable outcome to me at this stage of my artistic development.

This illustration doesn't fall into that category for me and that's major a relief. As simple, unfinished, and crude as this is -- I'm honestly just glad that I'm back to actively producing *anything* that actually feels like me.

In a way -- I lose interest fairly quickly in projects that I can't seem to bring my own personality and flavor to. Tragically, that has been the case a lot lately and this tragedy has been leading to a lot of creative second guessing on my part. That second guessing has led to what I feel is a loss in substantial creative output from me lately. Frankly, that's a dangerous place for me to be creatively this close to graduation and I know it.

Hopefully this little octopus sketch is the beginning of end of my creative dry spell.

As for this particular digital sketch is concerned, I am excited because it's been the first of my characters in a while that's so insanely silly and preposterous that I can't stop giggling at it.

That's usually when I know I'm at least half-way onto something....if I can amuse myself with it. ;)

In any case -- I have big plans for this little guy. He's one piece in a much larger (and equally silly) narrative already in progress. However, for now, I'm going to keep the details of that to myself.

Why a 'gangsta octopus' ? Why not?

You guys are just going to have to wait and see how this one all pans out. ;)

In the meantime, here is a fantastically random selection of a few tunes that I seriously just can't get out of my head lately :











No comments:

Post a Comment