Saturday, December 19, 2009

Original Motion Content -- "Memories and Hallucinations"

Finals are finally done for the semester and I (due to an unexpected east coast blizzard) am currently snowed in on campus until tomorrow. What a perfect time to take a little nostalgic look back into my artistic past.

Sit down in your coziest chair, grab a warm tasty beverage, and check out the long belated debut of "Memories and Hallucinations":



Regular readers of this blog will most likely notice that I've talked a pretty good game about this one already. As a matter of fact, this piece was the subject of the very first post here on "Out the Other Side" (which you can check out HERE. ;)

"Memories and Hallucinations" (with it's surreal Mark Isham soundtrack) has been regarded as 'epic' by some and 'far too long' by others.

Honestly, I agree with both of these assessments. It's an incredibly long and somewhat surreal display of digital excess. I'm not blind at all to this fact.

It also doesn't exactly host a concrete narrative. In a world were 10 and 30 second commercial clips are the norm, this is just crazily long. It's easy to get lost in in and it's easy to get bored by it, unfortunately.

I believe that since this piece took me so long and was such a labor of love (I even drew and digitally manipulated every stitch of this by hand), that it has taken me a long time to come to grips with the fact that this is simply not as successful as some of my other work. It really is my baby and I suppose that it's hard to admit that your baby totally sucks. ;)

However, one thing that working on this piece has taught me is that just because you labor over something and devote large chunks of time to a piece....that doesn't automaticly equal creative success.


That's kind of a hard pill to swallow, but hindsight is 20/20, I guess. ;)

On the plus side , despite the excessivly long length and quasi-dream like feel, this is still a piece that I can still look back on as a success -- of sorts.

In the end, this was a big technical exercise for me and even if I went overboard with the length and the neverending visuals, I definately learned a lot within the process. Working on this piece (which took nearly 4 months to complete) taught me a lot in terms of the more technical aspects of of creating motion art with After Effects and Illustrator.

I believe very firmly that there is no better way to learn and to grow in your knowlege of Adobe suite programs (or anything, really) than to just imerse yourself and play. Nothing builds your technical ability and know-how faster than just digging into the programs, combining different settings and effects and seeing what you get.

This , of course, is assuming that you have unlimited time to do such a thing. Who the hell has that these days? ;)

Thankfully, the next few weeks will allow me some time finally sit down and just create art without expectations, immediate deadlines, or mandatory critiques. I'm hoping that despite the fact that I will have 'no limits' that I will create work (both motion and illustration) that are punchier and much more accessible but still contain my DNA.

A Christmas without artistic limits? What better present could you ask for? ;)


No comments:

Post a Comment