Saturday, March 6, 2010

New Illustration: "The Princess and the Pea"


Just a quick update -- here is the finished-ish version of "The Princess and the Pea" children's book cover illustration that I first previewed here a couple of posts ago.

You can check out the first rough version of this one right over HERE. ;)

I'm pretty pleased with how this one ultimately came out. I tried to stay with a more pastel color palet than some of my previous work and did what I could to keep black out of the equation altogether (although it does pops up in a few places here and there. ;)

The night sky (which was originally a very bright blue) wound up getting toned down considerably. When I went back and compaired this version to the rough one that I posted to "Out the Other Side" earlier, I'm wound up being really glad that I kept the sky muted. I figured out quickly that the pale pastels on a much more understated background just helped everything pop a lot more. The sky is actually my favorite part of this piece now. :)

The only thing that I'm not 100% trilled with is what the princess' eyes are doing in this illustration. There's something a little scary/hypnotic going on there that I can't quite put my finger on at the moment. I tried really hard to give her a facial expression that came across as frustration or unhappiness (due to the giant-ass pea in her otherwise cozy bed in space).

However, I think that she just looks like she's in some sort of spooky little trance. I believe that I am going to go back into this one later and work out the issues with her eyes.

Ultimately, since I've been working on this one for so long now (nearly a month and a half on and off) I'm kind of ready to move onto another project entirely right now.

I've noticed that this often happens to me. I sometimes get really ambitious with a particular project but ultimately I'll get to the very end and discover that the project is so ambitious that the time it takes me to make the damn thing is way long the original spark of ambition...haha.

Leave it to me to spend so long with a project that I ultimately bore myself. This is why I run into a lot of projects that I ultimately have to call "done enough" just so I can move on. If I didn't do that, I would ultimately obsess over projects that I'm already tired of for months and months.

Does this ever happen to anyone else?

I dunno. I think I'm just weird like that *shrugs*. ;)

2 comments:

  1. hello... hapi blogging... have a nice day! just visiting here....

    ReplyDelete