Sunday, April 11, 2010

You Never Know Who's Paying Attention...


Wow, what a week! To say that the past 7 days have been insanely amazing, crazy, surreal, awesome, jaw dropping , kick ass and above all busy would actually be a gross understatement.

It's been all that and then some, kids! ;)

I'm still trying to catch my breath but in the meantime, let me fill you in on one of the most awesome moments from this past week.

First a little history:

For the most part, Out the Other Side gives me a great excuse to (among other things) talk about fellow creatives and creative things that I adore. Occasionally , I have been known to talk about music video directors that inspire me. Frankly, I am a bit of a music video junkie. I think that music videos as an artistic medium (as well as an entertainment vehicle) are just fascinating to analyze in depth. I am even reading a book that highlights the finer points of music video history ("Money for Nothing: a History of Music Video from The Beatles to the White Stripes" by Saul Austerliz. It's a fun sunny day read ;).

I'm particularly fond of directors (or artists in general) who aren't afraid to be edgy, unique, boundary defying, unapologetically weird, interesting, or willing to say something visually different.

This brings us to Maria Juranic and how she single handedly made my week/life! :)

Several months ago, I wrote a post about Juranic and her fascinating body of work. She is something of a professional hero of mine, so it was totally my pleasure to do the write-up on her.

Now, when I write this little blog that I call Out the Other Side , I seriously don't believe that my readership goes very far beyond my amazing group of personal friends (many of which are talented artists in their own right) a few other amazing creatives that I get feedback from on occasion, and possibly a few drunken college kids in Sweden who click on this blog by mistake.

I believe that to think otherwise so would a require a level of confidence/cockiness that is, frankly, just not in my nature. ;)

Anyway, never in my life did I think that I would be getting a personal email from Maria Juranic herself thanking me for the write-up I did on her! Never!

Not only did Maria send me an incredibly sweet email thanking me for showing her work some love but she also told me that she loves my work as well! :)

I'm not sure if she was just being polite, but I think that compliment almost caused me to have a small stroke out of excitement....haha.

Wow! I have nothing but an enormous amount of respect and admiration for Maria and her approach to her craft. As I said , she's a hero of mine, so to have her compliment my work at all really means the world to me. I don't even have the vocabulary to express how amazing that is.

What can I say? I'm a little star-struck. ;)

In any case, I want to extend a HUGE thank you to Maria Juranic for taking time out of her busy schedule to send such a cool email. She seriously just paid me one of the most amazing compliments that a girl could hope for! She is a class act, an amazing talent and if you haven't gotten aquatinted with her work yet, then what are you waiting for?

Below is my favorite Juranic clip : "Optimist (We are Not for Them)" by P.O.S.

Check out Maria's official page HERE and my aforementioned blog post on her HERE. :)



Also, thank you to everybody who has become a fan of Out the Other Side on Facebook! If you haven't started stalking the new fb page yet, feel free to get to stalkin' right over HERE! ;)


8 comments:

  1. I love to read your blog post!

    Color Experts
    Clipping Path

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pay somebody back in his own coin..................................................................                           

    ReplyDelete
  3. hi.. just dropping by here... have a nice day! http://kantahanan.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really awesome post. Thanks for sharing .... :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful Design Blogs, Such a great list. Thanks for sharing all these blogs all are very useful to every one

    Webdesign Belgium

    ReplyDelete
  6. Funny thing...I am not a photographer, I'm am musician who studied architecture, and I do not see one comment here about composition. The general public doesn't care about how technically proficient you are with your photographic equipment, all they care about is that your photograph either expresses something in an artistic sense or that your photograph serves its purpose
    clipping path

    ReplyDelete